The Humane Society of Central Arizona (HSCAZ) believes that no one should have to choose between feeding their pets or feeding themselves, or worse, surrendering or abandoning their pet in the hopes that they will be rescued.
Pets provide stability for their families during trying times. Unfortunately, during financially stressful times, often the pet is the first sacrificed in order to be able to afford food to feed the family. Our community has risen admirably against the plight of impoverished families who need to be fed and there are food banks to help with this crisis. The Humane Society of Central Arizona wishes to build upon this generous spirit by implementing the following program:
HSCAZ’s Feeding Fido program provides pet food for pet owners who are struggling to feed their pets due to financial hardship. Our goal is to help keep pets in their home and out of the shelter by providing assistance to those in need. We do require documentation to insure that our support is going where it is most needed.
In order to receive free pet food you must submit this application with all required documents, and be approved prior to receiving food. Once approved, you will be eligible for a period of one year, providing you adhere to all of our guidelines. This program is designed as a temporary solution and will serve families on a first-come, first-served basis.
Requirements for assistance:
One applicant per household. Applicants must be 18 or older. By signing our application and requirements, you agree to follow the rules outlines below:
Requirements for Feeding Fido Food Pantry (PDF)– download and sign Requirements
Feeding Fido Pet Food Pantry Application (PDF) – download and complete Application
- Must provide photo ID with completed application
- Must provide copy of utility bill with matching address listed on application
- Must provide one form of documentation showing need for assistance (acceptable documents listed on second page of application)
- Proof of ownership of all animals in your household (vet bill, microchip, rabies certificate, impound slip, licensing information, etc. Any paper form) TAGS AND PHOTOS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF OWNERSHIP
- Pets you are requesting food for MUST reside in your home.
- Pet food is only for Rim Country residents (Northern Gila County)
- We will support no more than 6 animals per household
- Recipient is not able to specify brand of pet food. Various brands are given out at different times
- Pets must be owned by applicant for at least six (6) months
- We provide food for the animals listed on the original application only. No additional pets may be added after an application is submitted
- Our mission is to keep pets with their families by providing temporary assistance; clients should not add pets they are not able to provide for
- Cat litter, dog and cat treats and wet food will be given out as available
- Should inventory levels get low, we will help more people by giving less food
- The amount of food we give is based on veterinarian recommendations for the pet’s breed, age and healthy weight
- Households can only receive food every 4 weeks
- Distribution days will be the 2nd Thursday of each month, from 3:00-4:00 p.m. at HSCAZ
- If you no longer need assistance during your eligibility period, please let us know so we can help another household
- The Feeding Fido Pet Food Pantry program is meant to ease TEMPORARY financial stress. Participants will receive assistance for one (1) year. Applicants must re-apply if assistance is still necessary.
- If we find evidence of abuse or deception (lying about pets, selling or trading food, etc.) you will immediately and permanently removed from the program.